I'm author ELLE STRAUSS and welcome to my website.
I write fun, lower Young Adult (teen) fiction to do with whimsical things like time-travel, fairies and merfolk (with a nice helping of romance!) When my serious side peeks out, she's called LEE STRAUSS. She likes to write upper YA/adult about romance in the past, present and future.
There's always a TIME for romance!!
This blog is about books, mine and other fab authors', but occasionally I'll share about other topics. Thanks for dropping by!
Monday, February 21, 2011
Random Monday Mumblings
1. I'm entering a particular stage of life that some of you may have ventured through, though I'm guessing a lot of you haven't. It's the prelude to empty-nesting stage. My daughter gets her full license in a couple months and my twenty-year plus job of Taxi Mom is effectively coming to an end. And yes, I'm joyous about this fact. But I'm also a little, I don't know, weirded out. Not being an in demand driver is going to open up a lot of space. And it just the road sign that says "full on empty nest ahead". Only one more year. It's still a year, so I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I've been around long enough to know that a year is a sneeze in the whole scheme of things. My life is changing.
2. On a similar theme, I'm reading a non-fiction book called YOUNGER NEXT YEAR by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge, MD. You know how every so often you see "old" people in really great shape. Unfortunately in our society it's a rare sighting, like spotting a whale's tale fin out on the ocean. I've always wanted to be that kind of old person. And I know that you don't just wake up at 70 thin and fit and engaged in life. If you want that at 70 and beyond, you need to make lifestyle changes now. Not that I'm in a bad way at the moment. I'm in pretty good shape for my age, and some people tell me I look younger than I actually am (I have to thank good genes for that), but I don't want to take anything for granted. If I really want that kind of life later, I have to live that kind of life now. I'm glad I started those yoga classes, but according to YNY, that's just the beginning not the end.
3. My husband is stuck in Minneapolis. A blizzard apparently. Trying to get home from Memphis where he played music at a Folk Conference of some sort.
4. I've done a good deal of writing/revising since the beginning of the year. Got two YAs up to snuff and made good progress on an MG. Today I will tackle an older ms. Revisions, revisions. I'm quite sick of this book so it's going to take discipline. My goal is to be more or less done with my writing projects by March and then I have to focus on other things. Like taxes and my husband's 50th birthday and preparing for our spring Europe trip.
5. If all goes well, I will be out on submission by the end of this week. I've been off the subs track for quite sometime, so I'm nervous/excited to get back out there again. Got close last year. Hope to get a lot closer this year.
So that's my musings for this fine Monday. How's your Monday?